- Every Spectra sundial is calculated
and handcrafted for the town where it is
- to be located, so unlike most "catalog"
sundials it actually works
- and is capable of telling clock time
to within minutes of accuracy.
- The Spectra sundial may be used within
approximately a sixty mile radius of the location
- for which it is made with only about
a four minute error in the time indicated.
- To tell the current time of day with
a Spectra sundial, look at the
- main shadow field and find the time
shadow created by the brass
- shadowcaster. The edge of the time
shadow that is parallel to the hour lines
- indicates the time. Here the shadow indicates that the time is about 2:50
- Every Spectra sundial has two time
scales, one for Standard Time and one for
- Daylight Saving Time. The tip of
the time shadow generally indicates what part
- of the year it is...in the Fall and
Winter the time shadow is short due to the sun being
- lower in the sky, so the shadow falls
in the upper portion of the sundial shadow field.
- The Standard Time scale is used during
that part of the year - in the picture above
- it is early February. As the months
progress the time shadow will continue
- to grow longer as the sun's path
across the sky gets higher every day.
- On the equinox in March the tip of
the time shadow above will ride the horizontal
- line - then it will continue to elongate
as the sun rides higher and the days grow longer.
- After the pointed tip of the shadow
crosses the central equinox line in March
- it will begin to fall into the lower
portion of the shadow field. During most of this
- time of the year the Daylight Saving
Time scale is used to tell the time.
- The time shadow above, in early May,
indicates that the time is just past 10:00 am.
- A special
date line can also be added to most Spectra shadow fields
(at no extra charge)
- to commemorate a
certain day such as an anniversary or birthday. On that day of
- the tip of the time shadow will ride
that special line during the course of the day.
- The Spectra Sundial · Page
- Spectra · Details
Gallery · Sundial
Comments · World
- Home · Sundials ·
Ideas · Links
Artisan Industrials Corporation · All Rights Reserved